Welcome to the HKUST School of Humanities and Social Science.
SHSS includes a Division of Humanities, Division of Social Science, and Center for Language Education. Our internationally-recruited faculty are committed to pursuing excellence in both research and education. We emphasize application of best pedagogical practices in undergraduate teaching, multi-disciplinary postgraduate training and placement, engagement of students in faculty research, and faculty research on China, the region, and the world.
Highlights of our school include the following:
- Interdisciplinary research in the humanities and social sciences spanning over fifteen disciplines
- The first undergraduate degree program in Quantitative Social Analysis
- A comparative perspective exemplified by undergraduate and post-graduate degree programs in Global China Studies
- World-class faculty recruited from leading institutions worldwide
- High rankings as a university of the world and as a world university
- An outstanding placement record for our research postgraduate students
We offer two undergraduate programs, multiple undergraduate minors, research and taught postgraduate degree programs, and dedicated academic programming in the creative arts, including music, writing, and film. We also contributed to the university's common core education.
Our strategic partnerships with leading universities worldwide offer students and faculty international opportunities for collaborative research, exchanges, joint student training, and dual-degree programs.
I invite you to browse our website and to learn more about our faculty, our teaching mission, our classes, our research, and the opportunities we provide to the world, to China, and especially to Hong Kong.
Professor Cameron Campbell
Acting Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Science