Welcome to the HKUST School of Humanities and Social Science.
SHSS includes a Division of Humanities, Division of Social Science, and Center for Language Education. Our internationally-recruited faculty are committed to pursuing excellence in both research and education. What distinguishes us from peer institutions is our cultivation of global best practice in undergraduate teaching, blended learning involving digital technologies, multi-disciplinary graduate training and placement, engagement of students in faculty research, and the global academic impact of faculty scholarship. Highlights of our school include the following:
- The largest interdisciplinary program in the humanities and social sciences in Greater China spanning over fifteen disciplines
- The first undergraduate degree program in Quantitative Social Analysis
- An explicit comparative perspective exemplified by undergraduate and post-graduate degree programs in Global China Studies
- A multi-disciplinary on-line curriculum in Global China Studies
- High rankings as a university of the world and as a world university
In addition to contributing substantially to the university’s pedagogical innovations and common core education, our school provides dedicated academic programming in the creative arts, including music, writing, and film.
Our strategic partnerships with leading universities worldwide offer students and faculty ample international opportunities for collaborative research, in-residence exchanges, joint student training, and dual-degree programs in specific fields. The SHSS community extends well beyond HKUST’s physical campus.
I invite you to browse our website and to learn more about our faculty, our teaching mission, our classes, our research, and the opportunities we provide to the world, to China, and especially to Hong Kong.
Professor Kellee Tsai
Dean of the School of Humanities and Social Science