Simple Text Block
- Applicants seek prior approval from DH (see question 2)
- Applicants submit application materials for internal selection and nomination
- SHSS Office issues the institution nomination letter on behalf of Dean
- HYI confirms acceptance of nomination
- Candidates create online account and completes the application
- SHSS office receives and uploads reference letters at the HYI Reference Portal
According to EVPPO’s Academic Personnel Policy, you need to seek approvals from the Department Head, Dean and Provost for your concurrent appointment with HYI. Please submit your application to the Head/HUMA for the first level endorsement prior to accepting the appointment (Harvard-Yenching Visiting Scholar) from Harvard University. The application form can be downloaded at: https://hro.hkust.edu.hk/system/files/staffs/AP-1.pdf .
Applicants should prepare a plan on how you are going to fulfill HKUST duties while taking this visitorship, and type(s) of leave (no-pay leave, sabbatical leave, and/or personal leave) you are going to take (you may need to consult HRO beforehand).
Note this prior approval must be obtained BEFORE you are nominated by the School for the program. Leave applications after accepting the HYI offer may not be accepted.
SHSS candidates for the HYI Visiting Scholars Program will be recommended to HYI by Dean of HSS no later than September.
Normally approval will not be granted for faculty before tenure.
Preference will be given to younger scholars who are in the early stages of their academic careers.
- Applicants must have at least three years of teaching and research experience at their home institutions (counted from the August 1 start date of the HYI fellowship)
- Scholars who gained their PhD from an institution outside of Asia in the past five years (counted from the start date of the HYI fellowship) are not eligible
- Previous recipients of a Visiting Scholars fellowship from HYI are not eligible to reapply for the same program
- No nationality restriction
Your referees should send their letters, a PDF, a word document, or a hardcopy, to the SHSS. Referees need to include completed personal and contact information, i.e. title, full name, department, institution, email and telephone.
A maximum of three recommendation letters are needed.
Under exceptional circumstances, word document without e-signature would be accepted with justification.
Visiting Scholars are required to locate their own housing. Harvard does have a housing office, but many scholars find they are able to locate housing using locate agencies. If you wish to apply for Harvard housing, you may do so. The Harvard Housing website is: http://www.huhousing.harvard.edu/ Please make sure to use a copy of your signed agreement to verify your full-time appointment with a HUID, as required by the Housing Office. Harvard also provides a website to help you locate off-campus housing. That web site is: https://www.harvardhousingoffcampus.com/
Temporary Housing service: under special circumstances, if you have not secured an apartment prior to your arrival or you need accommodation for a night or two prior to moving into your apartment, the HYI provides temporary housing at a local Bed and Breakfast hotel just 2 blocks away from the Institute. Since hotel availability is limited in late summer, you must email the HYI staff as soon as possible with your request for temporary accommodations. If you come with your family, please include their names and ages.
The formal start date of the program is August 1. Applicants receives a stipend for the month of August. Most scholars arrive in mid-to-late August. The first event is the orientation, held in late August. Applicants will receive the stipend check for August no matter when they arrive that month.
In general, scholars should plan to arrive in mid-to-late August. Although a few do come earlier, at the beginning of August, it is not mandatory.
Early termination will normally not be accepted unless there are exceptional circumstances.