HKUST Division of Social Science
The HKUST Division of Social Science is widely considered one of the strongest in Asia and is especially noted for its strength in quantitative research and training.
- It includes more than 30 faculty members from six different disciplines: Economics; Sociology; Political Science; Psychology; Geography; and Science, Technology and Society.
- All of them hold the PhD, and most of them earned it at such top institutions as Harvard, UCLA, Stanford, Yale, Michigan, Chicago, NYU, and the University of British Columbia.
- Many faculty taught and were tenured or promoted to full at such top institutions as UCLA, the University of Michigan, Oxford before coming to HKUST.
- They are at the forefront of efforts to collect social and economic data through surveys, archival research, and other approaches, and then analyze these data to develop new insights into contemporary and historical China, East Asia, and the world.
With the Quantitative Social Analysis program, the Division is drawing on its experience of successful postgraduate training to create an undergraduate program that will prepare graduates for today’s workplace, or further study.
- HKUST Social Science PhD graduates now hold academic positions at prominent institutions such as Academia Sinica, the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Fudan University, Peking University, Nanjing University, National University of Singapore, Renmin University, University of Hong Kong, and Zhongshan University.
- Our MPhil graduates have pursued doctoral training in competitive PhD programs abroad, including Australia National University, Cornell University, Duke University, George Mason University, NYU, Northwestern University, Stanford University, UCLA, UCSD, UT-Austin, University of Chicago, University of Virginia, University of Washington, and Yale University.
Please visit the Division of Social Science web page to learn more and follow us on Facebook to keep up to date.